October 6, 2007

Marion Jones

I was watching the news last night and all the coverage of Marion Jones's confession to misleading the FBI and oh, the rest of the world, about her steriod use. She apologized to everyone because her lying caused us all "hurt and pain". I feel neither hurt nor pain for what she did. What I do feel is a lot of cynicism about athletes and their performances.

Right now I'm watching the track and field championships in Stuttgart on the TV and I am constantly amazed at how our bodies are formed and the lengths to which they can go. For me, that celebration is enough, to watch people push their bodies to the limit and do amazing things.

In some ways I don't care if people want to inject themselves with whatever to go higher and faster, you hurt yourself and assume the risk. What I do hate is the lying that goes along with it. When Florence Griffith Joyner died a few years ago at the age of 38, some of those close to her said the world shouldn't be asking if she had ever taken drugs, her legacy spoke for her character and determination. But a heart seizure at 38? Besides, she had always tested negative for steriods, but then again so did Marion Jones.

So finally Marion has come clean, now I'm just waiting for Carl Lewis and Lance.

No comments: