April 1, 2008

Hooray for Hookahs!!!

An exciting thing happened in the city of Vancouver on March 31, 2008. Hookah houses were made exempt from the new by-laws banning smoking in public places. The cafes won’t be closed down if they only serve nicotine-free herbs instead of flavoured tobacco, which means pot-free water pipe enthusiasts will still have a place to chill out, albeit for the price of $15/pipe.

While in favour of this exemption, I’m not sure how it will stick and so I continue to buy flavoured tobacco, both with and without nicotine (although one cafĂ© owner did say there was no such thing as ‘nicotine free’ tobacco). It’s far cheaper to smoke in my apartment and I can serve food and other beverages if I so desire. At least I’ll continue to smoke in my apartment until the City decides it’s not in my best interest and bans that as well.

No comments: