July 13, 2007

Verbing

I am distressed by the number of new verbs that are appearing in the English language. The most offensive to date would have to be "scrapbooking." Consider this dialogue:

A: Hey, wanna go out for dinner tonight and then catch a movie?
B: I'd love to, but I've already got plans.
A: Oh yeah, what you up to?
B: I'm scrapbooking.
A: Hmmm. What's that?
B: You know, scrapbooking!! Putting photos and my own unique drawings in a scrapbook.

Du-umb. Why don't we just call it 'artsing and craftsing'? Equally stupid but I haven't heard anyone saying that just yet.

And I'm busy this weekend in case anyone calls. I'll be cerealing, then later on I'll be pantsing, and then by the end of the day I'll be pyjamaing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Technically isn't scrapbooking a gerund? Woo!